The Artistic Fellowship is a professional development opportunity for an early-career theatre maker interested in working as an artistic leader in the theatre. The fellow will workalongside the Artistic Director and the Artistic Associate while providing support to Northlight’s artists on mainstage productions, the Interplay series, season planning and any additional artistic programming. This experience will provide mentorship, training, and experience for a future leader of color at a midsize arts institution. The Artistic Fellow will expand the perspectives of the artistic team as an integral member for one full season (August 2018 - July 2019) and will represent Northlight in the Chicago theatre community.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Attend first rehearsals, designer runs, final dress and other performances of Northlight productions as needed and provide feedback to the Artistic Director.
- Assist with season planning by reading plays for consideration and contributing to Northlight’s Literary Circle; advising on writers to be commissioned.
- Assist with casting as needed.
- Participate in the mainstage season as an assistant director or dramaturg, as mutually agreed upon.
- Actively foster relationships with directors and writers, with a view to future productions at Northlight and/or developing ideas in workshop conditions.
- Assist the Artistic Director with developing Northlight’s artistic programs in line with the company's vision and mission statements, and within given resources.
- Lead discussions and audience engagement events around Northlight programs as mutually agreed.