DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIZATION
The Chicago Jazz Philharmonic is a non-profit organization whose mission is to present high quality musical performances and music education programs that will bridge gaps in genre, artistry and diversity. The organization seeks to become an internationally respected orchestra defined by its cross collaborations in jazz, classical, and other musical genres while working with schools to provide a linear track for music instruction, performance and enrichment from kindergarten through college.
Education is a central and imperative piece of the Chicago Jazz Philharmonic. The Chicago Jazz Philharmonic prides itself on being an orchestra that developed from its education programming (formerly, MusicAlive! NFP). It’s primary education initiative “Jazz Alive” works to institute music learning at the beginning of a student’s formal education by providing a linear track of music instruction and enrichment from kindergarten through college, following each student through this progression. The program is currently operating in eight Chicago area elementary schools, serving over 1000 students in weekly music instruction. In partnership with Chicago State University, “Jazz Alive” extends into the summer with a two-week music camp, the CJP Jazz Academy.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of day-to-day operations for all CJP education programs – both in-school and out-of-school. The Program Coordinator reports to the Program Manager while maintaining open communication and providing necessary information to the Executive and Artistic Directors and General Manager.
- Work collaboratively with Program Manager and other CJP staff to strive for excellence in Program Planning, Implementation, Evaluation, and Marketing, in accordance with CJP mission, stated outcomes, and organization brand.
- Provide excellent customer service to Program constituents – including but not limited to: Teaching Artists and Faculty, Students and their Families, School Partners and their Personnel, Community Partners and their Personnel, other Contracted Artists and Musicians, Program Vendors, and Program Funders.
Program Administration and Implementation
- Assist with planning and implementation of Jazz Academy programs (Summer and Saturdays), including: student registration, payments and scholarship fulfillment, preparation of materials, on-site production and facilities set-up and tear down, attendance policy enforcement, survey distribution and collection, and other tasks as needed.
- Organize and maintain student roster and registration database within Salesforce system to ensure current and complete records – including correct Parent contact information, program participation, scholarship requests and distribution, and payment information.
- Work with Program Manager to implement recruitment and marketing efforts
- Accompany Program Manager in attending meetings with school and community partners to determine annual program designs, space and equipment needs, and budget requirements.
- Coordinate teaching artist, educational performances, and private lesson schedules
- Order and manage inventory of program supplies and assist with distribution to schools, service providers, and community program locations
- Organize and maintain teaching artist database within Sharepoint portal; duties may include service provider support and follow-up, organization of submitted paperwork, lesson plan review, invoice preparation, and other tasks as needed
- Organize and maintain database of school and community partners, band directors, artist liaisons, vendors, and other contacts towards recruitment and marketing efforts.
- Attend related performance and outreach events to collect program content (such as photos, videos, and anecdotes)
- Draft communications and coordinate distribution of marketing materials via email, social media, website, and physical materials
- Ensure appropriate CJP presence and recognition at school and partnership events
- Assist with coordination of staff, professional, and parent involvement training sessions
- Accompany Program Manager on evaluation observations and contribute to feedback on teaching artists and overall program delivery.
- Assist with implementation of program assessment and program feedback surveys
- Input and maintain all evaluation and survey records, with opportunities to evaluate data
- Assist with other CJP outreach programming, such as concerts, the annual Gala, and other community events
- Conduct research on topics such as curriculum development, assessment, marketing, grant opportunities, and other relevant topics as assigned by Program Manager
- Connect and network with community and peer organizations - off-site learning opportunities available
- Other duties, as needed
Weekly schedule is TBD, but will include Saturdays (12:00pm – 4:00pm) from September through May, and occasional evenings as required. Approximate start date: May 30th, 2018, or when the position is filled.
Hourly pay at $18 per hour with a weekly commitment of 20 - 25 hours. Mileage reimbursement is available. This position is part-time to start, with potential for full time after six month review.