Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication skills to serve as our Stage Crew Apprentice. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Apprentice is a full-time member of the CST show running crew and will have the opportunity to hone their skills alongside experienced CST crew members. The Apprentice will learn first-hand about technology and practices used in professional theater while working on productions inmultiple venues. CST produces a variety of complex theatrical productions year round with the Apprentice being a key team member on each project. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.
Job responsibilities include:
- Collaborating in planning the running of shows
- Using fly systems and moving large scenery
- Assisting in inspection of rigging and automation systems
- Effectively communicating with production staff in all departments
- Assisting carpentry team and other production departments with load-ins, strikes, and other projects throughout the season
- Collaborating on interdisciplinary projects throughout the department as required by each production
- Troubleshooting technical problems quickly and efficiently.
This position is designed to help recent graduates enter the workplace and gain valuable professional experience. As such, only applicants with theatrical degrees conferred in the past two years will be considered.
This position is full time involving six days of work per week including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. The position is paid hourly, with benefits. Position will begin in spring of 2019.